New Jersey High Asset Divorce Lawyers
Helping High Net Worth Clients Navigate Complex Divorce Issues
Even the most amicable divorces can have stressful negotiations when it comes to deciding the division of property, child custody issues, and spousal support; however, divorces in New Jersey that involve couples with high assets can be even more problematic. For divorcing couples that share one or more homes, businesses, expensive cars, 401k and other retirement plans, valuable collectibles, and high end personal effects, negotiations can quickly become heated and emotionally charged, especially when one spouse earns most of the income.
At Lyons & Associates, P.C., our New Jersey high asset divorce lawyers have extensive experience negotiating high end divorces. Our team has helped countless couples successfully negotiate some of the most challenging situations involving business partnerships, luxury accommodations, complex compensation plans, child custody, and spousal support. Our clients rely on our skills to protect their interests and assets through all phases of their divorce.
Complex Issues in High Asset Divorce
There are many difficult situations that need to be addressed when a couple divorces, but some of the most complex issues occur in high asset divorce situations. In cases in which the couple has a high net worth, specialists may need to be consulted to ensure each party’s interests are protected.
- Business Evaluations: Whether a divorcing couple shares ownership in a business, or whether a business is owned by only one spouse, it is imperative to secure a fair market valuation of the company. An experienced high asset divorce lawyer can make sure that qualified specialists and appraisers accurately determine the tangible and intangible property values as well as the assets and liabilities of the business in the valuation process.
- Custody Experts: When children are involved in a high asset divorce, several areas of interest need specialized attention. Consulting with a custody expert can ensure that the best interests of the children are served and the rights of each parent are protected. It would be easy for the primary earner in the marriage to take unfair advantage over the non-working or dependent spouse, but an experienced custody expert will ensure that the standard of living that the children have been accustomed to is available in both parental homes.
- Employability Experts: When one spouse has been dependent on the other for financial support, an employability expert may be consulted to determine the earning potential of the non-working spouse. Child support, alimony, and other financial settlements can be affected if it is determined that the partner can contribute to their own financial independence.
- Forensic Accountants: When successful and affluent couples divorce, there are many times where assets such as stock options and deferred compensation plans need to be assigned a value for fair distribution. A forensic accountant is one who can assign a value to assets that have not yet matured to their full value and to intellectual property the couple may own, such as patent or copyrighted materials.
- Psychological Evaluations: A psychological evaluation can be court-ordered in divorce cases to determine the mental and emotional stability of one or both spouses. Child custody issues are the primary area wherein a psychological evaluation may be ordered. An experienced divorce attorney can ensure that your rights are protected before, during, and after this process.
Legal Counsel is Imperative to Protecting Your Assets
Seeking the counsel of an experienced and competent divorce attorney is always a good idea, but it is imperative in a high asset divorce. Complex issues regarding retirement assets, inheritances, businesses, antiques, art and jewelry collections, stocks and investments, professional licenses, and hidden assets are best handled by your attorney. When child custody and support issues or alimony come into the equation, relying on the skills of your divorce lawyer can determine the success of your children’s future as well as the stability of your financial outlook.
Stipulations regarding property settlement, future distribution of retirement income and pensions, child custody, child support, alimony, business capital, and educational expenses for your family need to be specific and firm. Once your divorce settlement is finalized, it is costly and time consuming to try and amend the settlement, and there are no guarantees that your requests will be honored. An experienced high asset divorce attorney can make sure your legal rights, assets, and financial arrangements are settled in your best interest.
New Jersey High Asset Divorce Lawyers at Lyons & Associates, P.C. Negotiate High Net Worth Divorce Settlements
If you or someone you know is considering a divorce in New Jersey that involves high end assets, the experienced and reputable New Jersey high asset divorce lawyers at Lyons & Associates, P.C. can help. We have negotiated some of the most difficult and complex divorce cases in New Jersey and are committed to protecting your legal rights and financial future.
Call us at 908-575-9777, or contact us online to schedule a consultation today. Our offices are located in Somerville, New Jersey and we serve clients throughout the state.