Somerville Family Law Firm: Can I Collect Child Support If My Ex Leaves the Country?

Your divorce is final, you’ve got a child support order, life seems to be settling down, and you discover that your ex is moving to another country.  If he (or she) were moving to another state, you would have a couple bureaucratic hoops to jump through, but these days all 50 states are connected with interstate agreements regarding enforcing child support orders.

But did you know that there is, in fact, an international child support collection treaty?  It is called the 2007 Hague Convention on the International Recovery of Child Support and Other Forms of Family Maintenance.  You can read the full text of the treaty here.

Through the Convention, the United States has reciprocal child support collection agreements with 26 countries, including:


  • Australia
  • Canada
  • Czech Republic
  • El Salvador
  • Finland
  • Hungary
  • Ireland
  • Israel
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Slovak Republic
  • Switzerland
  • The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland



The United States, as a signatory to the Convention, also agrees to enforce child support orders from these other countries.

Each country designates a central authority that is responsible for responding to and prosecuting all international requests for enforcement of child support orders.  If your child’s other parent has moved out of the country and stopped paying child support, make an appointment with your local child support case worker.  Even if your ex moved to a country that is not on this list, you may still be able to get some assistance.  If you run into roadblocks or confusing information, never hesitate to contact our office for help.

Contact Lyons & Associates for Answers to Questions International Child Support Collection

Don’t give up on child support if your ex moves out of the country.  At the Somerville family law firm of Lyons & Associates, we will answer your questions and help you navigate the foreign government’s requirements to get enforcement of your child support order.  We bring a high level of personal attention to every case we handle.  To schedule an appointment, contact us online or call our office at 908-575-9777.