Children Need a Relationship with Both Parents

Mendham family law lawyer advocates for a shared parenting plan after divorce.Written By:  ChrisAnn Wright, Esq.

Very often I will hear parents say “Well, a daughter should be with her mother” or “A boy needs to spend time with his father.”  According to the experts, children need time with both parents, regardless of whether the child is a boy or a girl.  In the Time Magazine article “It Doesn’t Take a Man to Raise a Boy” by Michael C. Reichert, April 11, 2019, the author states that he is often questioned regarding teenage boys and the relationship a boy has with his father.  Mr. Reichert states boys need to have both mother and father in their lives as each gender offers a child different types of support.

A mother tends to listen more closely to what her children have to say and acknowledge and validate their feelings.  A father, on the other hand, may be better able to help his son deal with peer pressure, since he has been through similar situations growing up.  Bottom line: As parents we all have strengths and weaknesses that help shape our children.  It is important for parents to use their strengths and weaknesses to guide their children together, whether parents are living together or separate and apart.

According to N.J.S.A. 9:2-4, “The Legislature finds and declares that it is in the public policy of this State to assure minor children of frequent and continuing contact with both parents after the parents have separated or dissolved their marriage and that it is in the public interest to encourage parents to share the rights and responsibilities of child rearing in order to effect this policy.”  In other words, the Courts are to promote and preserve the relationship between both parents and their children and encourage parents to continue do so once divorce proceedings end.

While every family situation is unique, it is not uncommon for both parents to want to be involved in their children’s lives. The Mendham family law lawyers at Lyons & Associates, P.C., we can help you make sure that you stay involved in your children’s lives even after you’ve been divorced. For a private consultation, contact us by e-mail or call our office at 908-575-9777.