Why Do I Need to Hire a Divorce Lawyer?
Whether your divorce is amicable or bitter and contentious one, the process can be complicated. Some couples think that they can avoid some of the stress and expense of a divorce by handling the situation themselves instead of hiring an experienced divorce lawyer. However, to ensure that you resolve key issues like child support, spousal support and a fair distribution of marital property and other financial investments, it is in your best interest to hire a divorce lawyer who will address all your questions and concerns and secure the best possible settlement.
What Are the Benefits of Hiring a Divorce Lawyer?
While an experienced and skilled divorce lawyer is an expense, consider it a valuable investment. Having a dedicated divorce lawyer on your side means that your interests and legal rights will be protected throughout the entire divorce process, and you will reach a financial settlement that you would not be able to achieve on your own. A skilled and experienced divorce lawyer can:
- Provide experienced legal assistance. There are a number of complex legal issues that must be resolved during the divorce process, which can be very difficult to navigate on your own. An attorney will ensure that your legal rights are protected as he or she negotiates issues like child custody, child support, spousal support, the equitable distribution of marital property and the settlement of any outstanding debts.
- Protect your best interest. Your divorce lawyer will ensure that your interests and legal rights are protected in and out of court. If a proposed settlement agreement is unfair or unreasonable, your divorce lawyer will ensure that the marital assets are distributed equitably and fairly and negotiate the best possible settlement outcome.
- Act as a third party between you and your spouse. It can be difficult to communicate with your spouse once you have decided to get a divorce, particularly when one or both of you are feeling angry, hurt, or betrayed. A divorce lawyer can work as a third-party mediator and help you communicate with your spouse.
- Assist with important decisions. There are several important decisions that must be made during the divorce process, from decisions related to custody and parenting time to whether or not to keep the family home or sell it. Sometimes, it can be difficult to make big decisions when you are going through something as emotionally intense as a divorce. A skilled divorce lawyer will ensure that you have all the information you need to make these difficult decisions, address any questions, or concerns you may have, and recommend the best legal course of action.
- Help streamline the divorce process. The divorce process takes time, but a skilled divorce lawyer knows how to navigate every step of the process as effectively and efficiently as possible.
- Guide you through child custody laws. Determining who has primary custody of the children is one of the most important decisions that will be made during the divorce process. While you and your spouse may each have very strong feelings about who should have custody of your children, and how the parenting responsibilities will be divided, your divorce lawyer consider what is in the best interests of the children, help you determine your rights as a parent, and negotiate a custody agreement that is fair and prioritizes your children’s best interests.
- Help manage stress. Going through a divorce is an emotional and stressful experience. A skilled family law lawyer can help make the experience much less stressful by walking you through every phase of the process, addressing all your questions and concerns and making sure that you do not make big decisions during a heated argument.
- Avoid costly mistakes. When mistakes are made during a divorce, it can cost you time and a significant amount of money. Having a dedicated divorce lawyer on your side will ensure that you avoid common mistakes that are made when couples try to navigate the process on their own.
- Provide clear documents. When a divorce lawyer drafts all your divorce documents, they will be accurate, error free and succinct.
What Are Common Mistakes to Avoid in Divorce?
Couples who choose to handle their divorce without legal representation often make some of the following mistakes that can have costly consequences:
- Assuming that the divorce process is simple. Couples often assume that an uncontested divorce is going to be a simple process, but they might not consider things like splitting vacations with the kids, whose name the title of the house will be in, what will happen if one spouse decided to move far away and other details and contingencies. Problems like these and more can arise when the process becomes more complex than expected.
- Having an unrealistic expectation about child support. Child support payments are calculated based on several factors, including and not limited to each parent’s income and the amount of time each parent will spend with the children. A common mistake people make is assuming they can lower the amount of support they are responsible for paying, as the court generally does not allow this.
- Thinking you are entitled to 50 percent of marital property. If you live in a community property state, marital property is divided equally between the two spouses. New Jersey is an equitable distribution state, which means that all marital property is divided equitably and fairly. Property that was purchased before the marriage is not subject to the equitable distribution unless the value of the property increased over the course of the marriage.
- Assuming the divorce process is less complicated than it is. Even an uncontested divorce can take a year or more to resolve because there are a range of processes, customs, and legal red tape that the court systems have, and that must be followed. A skilled divorce lawyer knows how to navigate these processes and help the process move more quickly.
- Focusing too much on the divorce instead of planning for the future. Once you have made the decision to divorce, you may be anxious to end the marriage and get on with your life. However, it is important to focus your attention on how much money you will need to pay your bills and manage your household expenses on your own. Your divorce lawyer will ensure that you reach a financial settlement that allows you to maintain your current lifestyle.
Morristown Divorce Lawyers at Lyons & Associates, P.C. Provide Skilled Legal Counsel for Clients Going Through a Divorce
If you and your spouse have decided to get a divorce, it is in your best interest to contact the Morristown divorce lawyers at Lyons & Associates, P.C. at your earliest convenience. Our dedicated legal team will guide you through every step of the divorce process, ensure that all your questions and concerns are addressed, and negotiate the best possible settlement. We will continue to fight for you until you are completely satisfied. To schedule a free, confidential consultation, call us today at 908-575-9777 or contact us online. With offices located in Somerville, Morristown, and Freehold, we serve clients throughout Somerset, Woodbridge, Morristown, Parsippany, Rockaway, Short Hills, Chatham, Randolph, Madison, and Morris Plains.