Division of College Payment Between Ex-Partners

Financial arguments are one of the leading causes of divorce. Unfortunately, the arguments often continue through the divorce process and affect the co-parenting relationship.

If you have children with your ex-partner, you may butt heads about who should pay for their college expenses. Because these expenses can range from several thousand dollars a semester to more than $50,000 a year for private schools, arguments about whose responsibility they are can become contentious.

If you have one or more children planning on attending college, you may want to consult with a family or financial lawyer to create a payment plan. Some divorce decrees may include an agreement about college, or the court may order that the parents pay for their children’s college. At Lyons & Associates, P.C., we have extensive experience helping families navigate all aspects of divorce in New Jersey.

How a Financial Lawyer Can Settle College Payment Disputes

College payment disputes can get ugly, partially because of the large amounts of money involved. If you and your ex-partner cannot agree on how to split college costs, a financial lawyer can help you come up with a college settlement.

Because New Jersey child support laws can require that payment continue until the child turns 23, they often include a requirement to pay for college. However, the specifics of how much each partner must pay can be influenced by child support payments, amount of custody, and other extenuating circumstances.

A financial lawyer familiar with New Jersey Child Support laws like the team at Lyons & Associates P.C. can mediate payment disputes between you and your ex-partner without needing to go back to court.

If your divorce decree includes a college settlement and your ex-partner has refused to honor it, a family law lawyer can help you force your ex to pay their fair share. They can also help you re-address the matter if your financial situation has changed since the divorce was finalized.

Renegotiating Child Support

Although you may need to pay support for children until they turn 23, you will likely need to renegotiate the terms of your child support payment orders after they turn 18. To ensure that you have enough time to save for potential college payments, you and your ex-partner may want to start this process in the year before your child’s birthday.

You will both need expert legal representation to develop a fair college settlement. Whether the negotiations are about a change in your financial situation, college payments, or a change in the custodial agreement, a lawyer can help ensure the discussion remains respectful and effective.

If you cannot come to an agreement, or your ex-partner refuses to pay their share on time, you may need to proceed to court. You will benefit from legal representation when presenting your case to a judge.

Contact Lyons & Associates, P.C. Today

If you’re worried about affording college after a divorce, contact the experienced team at Lyons & Associates, P.C. to learn more about child support laws in NJ. With our expert advice, you and your ex-partner can agree on an equitable division of college fees.

Contact us online or call us today at (908) 575-9777 to schedule a free consultation.