Can my 17 year old obtain a passport without my consent?

New Jersey child custody lawyers represent clients in decisions of travel while dealing with divorce issues. In New Jersey, joint legal custody provides both parents with equal input as to major decisions regarding their child’s health, education and welfare.  A common issue that arises as children approach their late teens is their desire to travel internationally, and how to handle this issue as co-parents.

If a child is 17 years of age, then they can apply to obtain a passport with valid identification using only one parent’s consent. However, the application may be denied if the other parent files a written objection.

What option does a parent have when he or she does not consent to the child’s application? Concerned parents can visit the U.S. Dept. of State at the link below to learn more about enrolling their minor children in the Children’s Passport Issuance Alert Program:

If the issue remains unresolved between the parents, it then becomes necessary to involve experience family law attorneys.

For more information regarding legal custody of minor children contact the law office of Lyons & Associates.  At the law office of Lyons & Associates, we represent men and women throughout New Jersey who have unresolved family law matters.  Our child custody lawyers in New Jersey place a premium on personalized service and attention. For a private consultation, contact us online, view our website at, or call our office at 908-575-9777.