Mendham Divorce Lawyers
Handling Family Law Matters Throughout New Jersey
At Lyons & Associates, P.C., we are dedicated to achieving our clients’ goals. All of the divorce lawyers at our firm are former New Jersey Superior Court law clerks. That means that we are intimately familiar with New Jersey court rules and procedures. Moreover, lead attorney and managing partner Theresa Lyons is a former clerk of the New Jersey Supreme Court and also has a Master’s degree in Social Work.
We have a wealth of experience and education that few firms can match, and our successful track record shows it. We are also proud of our commitment to responding to clients’ calls and concerns promptly. We believe it is a client’s right to be kept apprised of the status of their case, and that responsiveness minimizes the stresses people often feel when dealing with the legal system.
We are well versed in all aspects of family law, including the following.
- Adoption. We routinely handle legal adoptions, including stepparent adoptions, grandparent adoptions, and adoption for gay and lesbian couples. In New Jersey, anyone can be adopted as long as they are 10 years older than the adopting individual. A six-month home residency is required prior to finalizing all New Jersey adoptions.
- Alimony termination. When an individual who is paying alimony pursuant to a court order has a change in circumstances, alimony may be terminated or modified by petitioning the court. Whether you are on the sending or the receiving end of a spousal support order, we can answer your questions and help the Court to understand any changes in your situation.
- Child custody. Nothing is as important as the decision about which parent will retain primary custody of children. Although in the past, women were generally given custody by default due to societal norms, society is changing, and our laws are catching up to that. We handle all aspects of child custody law, including visitation, child support obligations, modifications of child custody orders, and child support after divorce.
- Divorce. For a divorce in New Jersey, a judge must review and approve the divorce settlement. If the spouses cannot agree to a settlement, the judge must decide how property and parenting time will be divided. We represent men and women in all aspects of divorce litigation.
- Domestic violence and child abuse. Child abuse and domestic violence offenses in New Jersey are all too common. Our lawyers have extensive experience dealing with the Division of Child Protection and Permanency (formerly referred to as DYFS), and handling victim’s rights claims arising from claims of domestic violence, abuse, or neglect.
- Equitable distribution of property. The division of marital property is a painstaking task that requires great attention to detail. Our seasoned team knows the techniques needed to achieve our clients’ goals. We have helped countless clients divide all types of properties, assets, and debts.
- Foster parent (short-term “adoptions”). In order to foster a child in New Jersey, you must be aged 18 or older, in decent health, and demonstrate that you can provide adequate care for the child. You will also required to be certified by DCPP.
- Grandparents’ rights. Grandparents often play a crucial role in shaping their grandchildren’s lives. If you have questions about child custody and visitation as a grandparent, we are prepared to fight for your legal rights.
- High Asset Divorce. If you or your spouse earn a high income or hold valuable assets, having experienced legal advice is essential. At Lyons & Associates, P.C., we have helped countless high asset clients divide retirement assets, inheritances, business partnerships, stocks and investments. We use the best forensic accountants and know how to uncover hidden assets, including offshore accounts.
- Modifications of divorce settlements. People’s situations change over time. If you or your ex-spouse has had a significant change in circumstances, such as loss of a job, significant increase in income, or the need to move out of state, we can help you modify your divorce decree.
- Same-sex marriage and divorce. We represent gay and lesbian couples in all family law matters, including custody, marriage registration, divorce, civil unions, and dissolutions of domestic partnerships.
Mendham Divorce Lawyers at Lyons & Associates, P.C. Provide Representation in all Types of Family Law Matters
At Lyons & Associates, our practice is focused on family law and divorce in New Jersey, so we stay up to date on cutting edge legal developments. We are committed to zealously protecting the rights of our family law clients. To speak to a lawyer who will aggressively pursue your goals, call us at 908-575-9777 or complete our online contact form today. Our Mendham divorce lawyers serve clients throughout New Jersey, including Somerville, Bridgewater, Bernardsville, Somerset, Basking Ridge, Mendham, and Morristown, Somerset County, Morris County, and Union County.